Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-01-07 23:52:04

lee

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] wow_menu-Full menu control (order, hide/show items, subtree)

Install it and read the help, it’s got all you need to know.

#38 2006-01-07 23:57:31

BZ
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] wow_menu-Full menu control (order, hide/show items, subtree)

oh, I didn’t know about the help grin
maybe I am that dumb, or just too tired…
thanks!

…but now I see I think it doesn’t help me with what I want to do, that is, to sort the categories by id, not alphabetically.
Any ideas?

Last edited by BZ (2006-01-07 23:59:51)

Diagnosis:
Version Textpattern: 4.0.3 (r1188)
PHP-Version: 4.4.1
Hosting: all-inkl.com

#39 2006-01-08 00:31:59

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Pls read the help text – you can sort the menu items in any way you want, but you need to do it manually. There is not “autosort by ID” kind of thing.

#40 2006-01-08 09:05:44

BZ
Website

oh, ok, I saw the new extensions tab just now – it works wonderfully!

And I shouldn’t ask questions any more when it’s time to go to bed…

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by BZ (2006-01-08 09:06:04)

Diagnosis:

#41 2006-01-09 21:02:46

lee

Thanks for this, it’s brilliant! How would I apply a css class or id to show the active link?

#42 2006-01-14 19:14:28

BZ
Website

just the option to show the article count for each category would make it perfect!

Diagnosis:

#43 2006-01-15 12:41:08

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Greets,

thanks for using the plugin. :) Andrei – who recently offered his help in further developing the plugin – and I will look into your requests, especially the option to add an identifying tag for the currently selected menu item. BUT — please remember that this is only half of the problem. You will also need an option to change the item highlight when the user follows a link which is not part of the menu, for example if he clicks on a link somewhere on your page which would require a totally different branch of the menu tree to be displayed.

This functionality is quite difficult to implement, given the fact that it requires external control through JavaScript (at the moment, it’s all plain CSS). We’ll spend some more thought on that, but it’ll take us a while until we will add this feature – first of all, the basic functionality needs to be fully stable.

@BZ: Greetings to Stuttgart. :) I think your request has already been tackled by Andrei – if everything goes well, it’ll be included in the next release, so stay tuned.

#44 2006-02-04 23:03:12

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Okay, lots of things have been added in the latest release (0.8), which is also why we left out 0.7 (it took us a while to get to this release, after all! :).
Especially for BZ, we have added the support for displaying the number of articles. ;) Please test it thoroughly, not sure if it works correctly – this goes for all changes in this release BTW. We modified so many things that stuff which had already been ok’ed might start acting up, so… beware and let us know if you find bugs.
@oldi, I don’t know if this release fixes your problem, but Andrei has changed the way the category references work. Try it out, please.

Many other users have requested a feature to highlight the active LI item. Well, we can’t do that for you (you’ll have to write the JavaScript yourself :), but we can pass on all the data you need from the plugin. This release features id attributes for all LIs and ULs so you can grab them through the DOM manipulation functions in JavaScript, which should make highlighting easy.

There’s also a new JavaScript array which holds all the UL id’s for each LI item. This means that if you work with dynamic menus and want to automatically display the proper branches for the active element, you simply need to grab the corresponding id’s from the array and use a JavaScript to make sure these ULs are displayed.

And last but not least, there’s the “section auto-link” (sal) feature. The problem is that you sometimes have to use a section instead of a category to achieve certain design/structural goals (I mean, if we’re honest, categories aren’t the things to build a menu from – if we’d do it correctly, we’d need to use sections). wow_menu now offers a way to link to sections, too: Just make sure there’s a category with the exact same name, and the link will automatically point to the section instead of the category. Of course you can switch this off if you want to. The only problem is that the article count is not gonna work for these menu entries – we still have to figure out what to do about this – feedback welcome.

And yes, did I mention that we now support unmessy URLs? I can’t test that on my machine, so please give it a shot and let us know if it works ok for you.

All in all: Lots of new stuff to try out. Please go ahead! :)

#45 2006-02-05 23:02:59

BZ
Website

oh, I am feeling honoured! Thank you very much for your effort :)
I will test it as soon as possible. Greetings to FRA!

Diagnosis:

#46 2006-02-06 00:37:05

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Argh… there seem to be some bugs with the article count, Andrei’s already on it… I think we’ll be releasing a 0.81 version, so maybe you should wait until then. :)

P.S.: I like your site. :))

#47 2006-02-06 20:15:59

BZ
Website

thanks nighthawk :)
alright, then I’ll better wait some more before testing (don’t have it running on local server right now)

oh, and there’s one more thing…I wonder if it would be very difficult to integrate some kind of possibility to hide categories automatically if they don’t have any posts yet…?!?

looking forward to see the improvements!

Diagnosis:

#48 2006-02-08 23:23:48

Nogga

Hi – first fo all: It’s a great plugin! I started my first textpattern-driven website yesterday and it solves one difficult issue of my rather complex project ;)

But now my question:

Is it possible to display the current tree for navigational purposes? Like for example:
Home —> Menu Level 1 —> Menu Level 2 —> Current displayed Page (or category..)

Each level linked to the certain page.

Board footer