Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-02-24 19:42:07

rthrash

Re: MODx : a great Etomite Fork

Hi guys … I’d love to see any suggestions for reworking the manager; we love great ideas and well-considered suggestions. I think you’ve been too kind to it, honestly. ;)

#26 2006-02-25 10:44:13

Destry
Website

neutrino wrote: I’ve been poking around with ModX on a local install and crawling the Modx forums attempting to get my head around how it works.

Yeah, me too. Been playing around with this locally and like what I’m feeling; though I knew it would be good if Davidm was behind it. This one goes in the toolbox too, though I’m not to the point where I would advertise it yet. I’ve been lurking in the modX Forum now and then but need to do some real digging.

Last edited by Destry (2006-02-25 10:47:14)

#27 2006-02-25 12:40:43

neutrino
Website

@Destry

but need to do some real digging.

Yes. I am lured in and must spend some more time getting to know.

@rthrash

It has an engimatic sense to its potential. David was always very clear that we needed to look past the interface. As I’m not a coder that’s a bit of a challenge but TXP has prepared me well I think. There are many commonalities between these two pieces of software.

@everyone

I would love to see what some of our TXP admin facelift people (yoohoo Mary) would have to say about the MODX “facelift” while Ryan is soliciting opinions.

(FYI, one of my intitials issues with the interface had to do with a glitch in FF not showing the secondary menu—I had to (and continue to have to) reset the character encoding/auto-detect under Tools to “Chinese”, sounds weird yes but MODx is relatively young and I promise its worth checking out, if nothing else but to give you a new way to think about what you’re doing with webdev and more importantly, how.)

Last edited by neutrino (2006-02-25 12:41:28)

#28 2006-05-25 18:22:13

Inspired
Plugin Author
Website

In different reasons i was postponing testing MODx for so long… till yesternight. While i doubt i introduced myself to a half of features i guess i’m becoming a believer. What’s appealing is that “PHP Application Framework” definition and what i was trying to make out of textpattern.
What can i say, i kindof impressed and after a day playing with it i would wish to follow David to admit “MODx is the second CMS after Textpattern that I just LOVE” (though it might sound as if i’m saying it too early)

BTW, i have been working on a variables plugin for textpattern but i didn’t tell you, it was going to be a surprise :)

Anyways, thanks David, i read what you write here and there and it makes sense to me. Thanks for comparison with textpattern.
Best wishes

Last edited by Inspired (2006-05-25 18:23:36)

Plugin Composer — admin plugin to write your own plugins

#29 2006-05-26 07:46:19

davidm

Thanks Inspired :)

MODx is sure gaining momentuum, partly because it has the same flexiblity as txp as fas as templating is concerned, but adds several other levels with template variables, @bindings and also, the ability to use the advantage of server side CSS (e.g use snippets, plugins since your CSS is parsed :D )

Plans for the future are very exciting, I’ll talk about it soon… :)

.: Retired :.

#30 2006-06-02 00:50:52

Shaliza

I tried both of them not too long ago & I wasn’t crazy about either of them. I tried countless of other CMSes, but TXP was the best one. It does exactly everything I want & leaves out the stuff I don’t want.

I’m not surprised it took me a while to find TXP. They do say that good things come in time…

#31 2006-06-12 15:57:21

davidm

To me, “best” is an irrelevant term as far as CMS are concerned : it all depends on what you want to do, of course… and being a long time Textpattern user and a MODx team member, I appreciate the differences…

Textpattern is incredibly versatile, you can do many things with it (and I have) but for some purpose (like corporate websites) MODx is way more powerful, otherwise I wouldn’t have switched ! But one of the reason I switched is so many things follow the same logic it’s easy to learn MODx when you know Textpattern. And you get additionnal levels of freedom… Get past the admin interface and you’ll understand what I mean. Textpattern is more elegant, no question about that, but no it’s not as powerful (at least, not until Elements or Bannister are out. For those who missed it “Bannister A clean, simple and smart framework for web applications, built inside Textpattern itself.” -> from the team.textpattern.com page).

#32 2006-07-22 03:08:32

Shaliza

So wait – you don’t use TXP at all? Is the point of this post to try & persuade others to leave TXP & try MODx?

#33 2006-07-22 12:29:05

Ace of Dubs

Just tried the demo and …UGH! That admin is so butt ugly, I had to look at some pretty sites afterwards just to get the bad taste out of my retinas! Not to mention that this is probably the most convoluted and bloated interface I have seen to date… the grouping of tools is hardly intuitive and this might explain why even the most studious nerd would take months to wrap his head around this program.

I wont poo-poo it entirely though… there are some cool things going on there, in particular I like how you can manage persmissions, parse CSS out of the box, etc… but whoever is in charge needs to seriously reconsider the design and logical flow of how the tools are presented because 5 minutes with this admin has given me a headache

#34 2006-07-22 17:52:14

davidm

Shaliza wrote: So wait – you don’t use TXP at all? Is the point of this post to try & persuade others to leave TXP & try MODx?

I am not trying to persuade others to leave txp, they are different tools for different purposes IMHO. Plus, I think people here are grown ups enough to make their choice :P
And I AM still using txp when appropriate, just saying that to build corporate websites, MODx is IMHO a better tool, is all I am saying.

Ace of Dubs wrote: Just tried the demo and …UGH! That admin is so butt ugly, I had to look at some pretty sites afterwards just to get the bad taste out of my retinas! Not to mention that this is probably the most convoluted and bloated interface I have seen to date… the grouping of tools is hardly intuitive and this might explain why even the most studious nerd would take months to wrap his head around this program. I wont poo-poo it entirely though… there are some cool things going on there, in particular I like how you can manage persmissions, parse CSS out of the box, etc… but whoever is in charge needs to seriously reconsider the design and logical flow of how the tools are presented because 5 minutes with this admin has given me a headache

As I have said time and again, the admin is the Etomite legacy, MODx was a the start an Eto fork but is way past that now.
Next release won’t feature this ugly admin anymore. The 1.0 branch, rewritten from the ground up, will make a total break from the past. The admin will be built using the API, the same way you build front end pages :D

Last edited by davidm (2006-07-22 17:55:08)

#35 2006-07-22 18:25:06

Ace of Dubs

My apologies.. I didnt catch that, david

Will be interesting to see how the design team packs all that power into a clean and efficient interface. It will be a challenge to say the least!

Keep us posted, and if possible, post some screen shots to maybe whet a few appetites. :)

#36 2006-07-22 19:30:35

marios
Archived Plugin Author

@David, how would you evaluate the use of modx for multi-lingual sites in comparison to txp.
How do they compare? (like and cons and pros)
(also from the backend and the customization of the backend so it can be handled in a simple manner)

Would be nice, to get your opinion about the subject for current code bases.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

Board footer