Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-10-28 06:47:06

zem
Developer Emeritus

Re: suggestion: new "Built-in TXP tags" forum category

Maybe, a “Documentation” forum can exists as a closed forum, where only those users that are deeply involved in TXP and the TextBook can enter and share ideas and optimize the maintainance of the TextBook.

I think the main problem TextBook has is that there are too many barriers to posting: you need to ask for an account, and it doesn’t seem receptive to small contributions.

Seems to me that closed forums, or forums with hard and strict rules, would suffer the same problems.

Alex

#26 2005-10-28 06:49:08

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

> …“maybe will lead to duplicated content…”

Not likely at this stage of things.

Think of it as the wiki ‘incubator’. We already have the problem of people joining but not contributing to the wiki, and I guess its because the wiki scares them or something. A forum has the psychological effect of feeling open and friendly, which is what we want, that breeds contribution and plain good fun.

Don’t worry about keeping things on topic, the forums are actually pretty good about this, I’ve only had to move threads a few times, and I’ve yet had to close one. At the moment, permissions are lax, anyone can contribute. Mods are just about to be like… team motivators or something. They (the permissions, not the mods! lol, I just realized what that sounded like…) can be easily changed later in the unlikely event that things go nuts.

It just means that if you come across a thread that should be moved, you can do so yourself. Otherwise, any forum member can just hit ‘report’ and leave a brief little note about it, and another mod/admin can deal with it as appropriate. But I don’t anticipate any problems. Its all in good fun, and hopefully it’ll encourage some shy guys to contribute. :)

Last edited by Mary (2005-10-28 06:50:25)

#27 2005-10-28 06:56:31

maniqui
Website

<blockquote>
I feel like Jean Luc: make it so. ;)

To start with, whom wants de powa (be a mod for that forum)? I need to know so I can ‘bless’ you. :) I should first ask Destry and Rick, would you guys like that or no (let me know via thread or email, doesn’t matter)? </blockquote>

Oh! When I read this one the first time (few minutes ago) I didnt understand it!
I followed the link and think it was an historical old thread (writed by Jean Luc ¿?) that has been deleted (I didnt notice that it is a forum category page, and not a thread deleted) (i’m falling asleep at this hours).
:D
<blockquote>
I’m feeling like we should have “wiki representation” about to help bridge the gaps. Would you like to be, then, maniqui?
</blockquote>

mary, I dont understand what you mean, I speak the language of Kusor!
But I will feel very happy if I can help.
And I know the pay worth the effort! Where do I put my signature?

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#28 2005-10-28 07:03:26

ubernostrum
Website

mary wrote:
> We already have the problem of people joining but not contributing to the wiki

/me hangs his head in shame.

I did correct an example a little while back, does that count? ;)

You cooin’ with my bird?

#29 2005-10-28 07:16:10

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Sorry maniqui, Jean Luc = Just a really geeky and lame reference to Star Trek: that particular Captain always said “Make it So.”.

> “/me hangs his head in shame.
> I did correct an example a little while back, does that count? ;)”

Just say, “Shut up Mary, I’m busy,” and I’ll leave you alone. At least… until I remember that I have those socks I haven’t thrown yet today… LOL ;)

#30 2005-10-28 07:28:23

ubernostrum
Website

How about “Go to hell, Mary!”

Or “up yer kilt!” I’ve known plenty of Canadians who wore kilts, maybe you could get one or force some young man of your acquaintance to do so.

Seriously, though, I need to spend some quality time this weekend looking over the wiki to see if there’s anything useful I can put up there. Life would be so much simpler if I didn’t have three different clients breathing down my neck to get changes made to their sites ASAP… :(

Last edited by ubernostrum (2005-10-28 07:30:25)

You cooin’ with my bird?

#31 2005-10-28 08:28:32

kees-b
Website

All translators know this strange word: Tagalog. It’s in the txp language files but not used in the interface. I allways interpreted it as an upcoming feature: a catalog of tags within the admin (help) interface. Dean and the team, am I wrong?

#32 2005-10-28 10:24:39

Destry
Website

I’ve responded to some ideas brought up in this thread, but it got sidetracked to a bigger TextBook issue, so I’ve taken to the top level, here

In any case, I think the new Tag forum is great, and I like the idea of having community moderators; makes me think we should have more of them for other fora.

@mary: thanks for the consideration as a moderator, but I think maniqui and Rick are perfect for the job. I still indirectly serve as a voice/action between the forum and the wiki (for the time being), which most folks probably recognize.

#33 2005-10-28 14:24:32

rui

> kees-b wrote:

> All translators know this strange word: Tagalog. It’s in the txp language files but not used in the interface. I allways interpreted it as an upcoming feature: a catalog of tags within the admin (help) interface. Dean and the team, am I wrong?

It’s funny that the meaning of the word “Tagalog” was interpreted by me the same way. And I’m also one of the translators…

When is this “catalog of tags within the admin (help) interface” feature coming? ;-)

rui

#34 2005-10-28 14:38:47

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

I’m afraid we’ll have to disappoint you, as a code snippet from the update script will surely convince you:

<code> case ‘spanish’: $rs = safe_update(“txp_prefs”, “val= ‘es-es’”, “name=‘language’ AND val= ‘spanish’”); break; case ‘swedish’: $rs = safe_update(“txp_prefs”, “val= ‘sv-sv’”, “name=‘language’ AND val= ‘swedish’”); break; case ‘tagalog’: $rs = safe_update(“txp_prefs”, “val= ‘tl-tl’”, “name=‘language’ AND val= ‘tagalog’”);

</code>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog_language

#35 2005-10-28 16:06:12

maniqui
Website

I noticed that last night, where I was about to go to sleep. , that I have beeing blessed by mary. Thanks, mary.
Thanks for frightened me!
Until this “morning” (12am) when I wake up and read your blessing e-mail that makes me feel better. :D
It’s an honour for me to help in this forum, and I’m glad of TXP community. I will do my best effort.

Well, going back to topic.

First: I noticed that the new forum goes slightly different in its implementation in relation of what I thought in the first post. <ol> <li>it is more widely-open to participation, and as said before, it’s more exposed to OT threads that belong to other forums.</li> <li>wont be made by sticky-thread-per-built-in-tag, as I suggested. (I can live with that). But I will create some posts named with txp-tags and use the “template” I suggested above, to see what happens, what is the “reaction” to this kind of posts</li> <li>related to the above item: I know a thread-per-tag was an illusion, because tags arent usually for stand-alone use, but to be used in conjunction with other tags. So, it’s “difficult” to know to wich thread-tag an example snippet belongs. But I dont think that is a real problem, and can be easily seen as an advantage for understanding how to use tags together and to easily catch the logic behind TXP.</li> </ol>

Now, some quotes for the <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=12295”>inaugural post</a> of <a href=http://forum.textpattern.com/viewforum.php?id=27”>Tag Examples</a>:

<blockquote>leave out plugin tags, the purpose is to increase knowledge on how to use the powerful tags available by default</blockquote>
Is this a golden rule?

“Tag examples” will frequently have example snippets, and in snippets, the use of a bult-in tag can involve the use of a plug-in tag as an auxiliary tag.

To illustrate this: <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=12285”>tip: Using HTML tags in article/section/category titles and stripping the tags from <code><title></title></code></a>.
Ok, that tip suggests the use of two plug-ins (ob1_title and sab_striphtml), but the tip can also be performed with a built-in txp tag (txp:page_title) and the sab_striphtml plug-in.

Therefore, this tip can be at “Tag example” to show how to improve <code>txp:page_title</code> and get better results if HTML tags (like acronym) are being used in article/section/category titles.

What do you think?

Last edited by maniqui (2005-10-28 16:17:28)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#36 2005-10-28 16:50:11

rui

> Sencer wrote:

> I’m afraid we’ll have to disappoint you, as a code snippet from the update script will surely convince you…

Ok! I’m convinced now that Tagalog IS a real language and wikipedia.org is our friend.
And what about that “catalog of tags within the admin (help) interface” feature? So many tags to remember!

rui

Board footer